Heather Knoll Cluster Association

Board of Directors Meeting

May 18, 2016

The meeting held at Craig Downie’s (1200) was called to order at 8:00 p.m.

Board Members Present:  Craig Downie, Tim Schick, Mickey Alford-Lane, Lee Thompson and Petra Raymond.


Residents present: Joe Abboud and Judy Holmes, Chair of the Landscape Committee


Secretary’s Report:  Tim moved, seconded by Lee, the Board voted to approve the minutes of the April 20 meeting as written.


Treasurer’s Report: The Board accepted the financial report. Tim moved, seconded by Lee.


Drainage: The Board resumed review of the issue of drainage between 1233 and 1235.


Joe Abboud said he is having tests done to determine if the drainage issue on common property has caused the undermining of his driveway. He said the report is expected prior to the next Board meeting and he will share the results. If issues on common property do not cause his issues he will pay for remediation on his property. It they are, he will discuss the matter with the Board.


Mickey agreed to prepare Reston DRB applications to avoid delays once the Board give final approval for the work.


Craig agreed to contact the contractor to update and clarify the quote for the work.


Landscape Committee Charter: On a motion by Tim, seconded by Lee, a charter for the landscape committee was approved.


Vendor Contracts: Petra agreed to prepare a list of contracts the cluster has with vendors along with their expiration dates to make them easier to track. These include trash removal, snow plowing and lawn services.


Landscape and cluster repair work: Judy presented recommendations for tree and erosion work from the landscape committee.


On a motion by Lee, seconded by Craig, the Board approved removing dead tree behind 1213, a tree behind 1243 and dead limbs from trees behind 1264 and 1227 for a cost of $1,900. Lee abstained from approval of the work at 1264 and Mickey voted no on the removal of the dead tree limbs at 1264 and 1227. Approval is based upon the contractor having  liability insurance. The landscape committee was also authorized to seek any necessary DRB approvals for the work.


Following a long discussion of proposed work on Crape Myrtles in the parking island closest to the Woodbrook Lane entrance, the Board requested that the landscape committee review the overall landscaping in that area and provide recommendations to the Board


On a motion by Tim, seconded by Craig, the Board authorized the landscape committee to seek bids on running drain tile/pipe through the common property behind 1219 through 1257 into the woods as a means of reducing erosion.


The Board also discussed looking at other long-term erosion mitigation efforts before awarding a contract.


Curb Painting

Judy reported on research she had conducted on different methods and materials for curb painting. The key is using the right type of paint, which would be acetone-based paint. In addition there are differences in the surface preparation methods, including sand blasting and scraping. The Board requested that she seek bids for the painting using durable paint and that surface preparation options be included.


Dog Waste Bag Dispenser

Petra agreed to get information on the repair or replacement of the dog waste bag dispenser.


Quarterly bills.

By consensus the Board approved redesigned billing statements and notices. The revisions contain a clearer explanation of what is owed and any past due amounts.


Next meeting:  The next meeting will be held at 8 p.m. June 22 at Tim’s home (1223).

The meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Tim Schick, Secretary